The October 22, 2023, edition of SEOFOMO is here! Now with +29.4K Subscribers 📮
[If you want to read SEOFOMO on the Web click here]
🗞️ Search Updates and News from Search Engines
Google October 2023 Core Update Rollout is Now Complete
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Google has confirmed that the October 2023 Core Update – the third core update this year – has completed rolling out. The update started on October 5, 2023, a day after the October 2023 spam update was released, and completed 14 days later on October 19, 2023.
Google Completes Rollout of October 2023 Spam Update
Matt G. Southern / Google Search Updates
Google finished rolling out the October 2023 Spam Update targeting thin and misleading content as of October 20.
Vehicle Listing Structured Data For Car Dealerships
Google Search Central / Google Product Updates
There's a new and simpler way to provide for-sale vehicle inventory data to Google: Car dealerships can be eligible for vehicle listings on Google by using the vehicle listing markup.
Google Drops Favicon User Agent & Requires Googlebot-Image and Googlebot Crawling
Barry Schwartz / Google Product Updates
Google has updated its favicon search developer documentation to remove the section for the Google Favicon user agent and to clarify that if you want Google to show your favicon you must allow both Googlebot-Image and Googlebot to crawl your pages.
Rich Results Test Supports Validation Of Structured Data For Paywalled Content
Google Search Central / Google Product Updates
You can now use Google's Rich Results Test to validate the use of structured data for paywalled content.
Google Tests Discover Feed On Google Home Page
Barry Schwartz / Google SERP Updates
Google is testing the Google Discover feed on the Google.com desktop home page interface. This test is currently in India, Google confirmed, and is just an experiment.
Baidu to integrate ERNIE 4.0, which ‘rivals’ GPT-4, into Search
Nicola Agius / Baidu Product Updates
Baidu is planning to incorporate Ernie 4.0 into its search engine, which will change its SERPs.
Bing Explains SEO For AI Search
Roger Montti / Bing Search Guidelines
Microsoft's Fabrice Canel explains how AI search is different from regular search and what SEOs should do right now.
Introducing the Microsoft AI Bug Bounty Program featuring the AI-powered Bing experience
MSRC / Microsoft Product Updates
This new bounty program features the AI-powered Bing experience as the first in-scope product with awards up to $15,000.
Large Language Models Can Accurately Predict Searcher Preferences
Paul Thomas, Seth Spielman, Nick Craswell, Bhaskar Mitra / Microsoft Product Updates
"We have found large language models can be effective, with accuracy as good as human labelers and similar capability to pick the hardest queries, best runs, and best groups."
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ Introducing the Site-Level SEO Assistant from Wix
Wix is making it easier for you to identify issues holding your site back on search. The Site-Level SEO Assistant generates automated SEO audits with prioritized actions, so you know exactly what to tackle first.
This tool also analyzes overall SEO health and provides tailored recommendations to help you stay on top of it—efficiently.
With this feature, you can check tasks off as you complete them, so you’ve always got an up-to-date view of your progress.
👌 This week's SEO Awesomeness
How Search Generative Experience Works And Why Retrieval-Augmented Generation Is Our Future
Michael King / Search Trends
Gauge the potential threat level of SGE on your site traffic. Get insights into the likely changes to the search demand curve and CTR model.
How Google’s SGE Snapshots Change Top Black Friday and Cyber Monday SERPs
Yours Truly / Search Trends
Take a look at how the SERP changes with Google's SGE Snapshots for top Black Friday queries and how it could potentially change users' buying search journey.
A Few Words on Seasonality in SEO
Natalia Witczyk / General SEO
Natalia explains the impact of seasonality in SEO across different timeframes -weekly, monthly, and yearly- for the most common scenarios, as well as how to use it to understand fluctuating organic search clicks and more.
Struggling with Indexing your Content in Google? Understand How a Priority System Works [Thread]
Ammon Johns / Technical SEO
Ammon explains why Google might not index all of your site content, including how URLs go through the queues, how Google sets priorities, and more, to understand why you face indexing issues.
(Hard)Core Algorithm Updates
Kevin Indig / Google Algorithm Updates
Kevin analyzes how Google updates have become unpredictable instead of enforcing a straight line, which makes SEO less predictable as a channel... and what you can do about it.
The Ultimate Guide to Schema Markup
Ryan Jones / Technical SEO
Learn about schema markup with comprehensive Ryan's guide: From the concepts to the importance and the different schema types, how to implement them, as well as some advanced schema markup you can use on your site.
What is Local SEO? The Ultimate Guide, By SEOs for SEOs
Ryan Jones / Local SEO
If you're looking to start in local SEO, this insightful resource from Ryan is for you.
SEO outcomes vs. SEO outputs: Understanding the difference
John Morabito / General SEO
Here's how focusing on outcomes, not just outputs, can align your SEO efforts with your organization's goals, resulting in a holistic impact.
Exploring programmatic SEO: Real-world examples and insights
Tom Demers / General SEO
Explore the fundamentals of programmatic SEO through practical examples, from travel and template collections to product comparisons and database-driven pages.
Mastering SEO Audits: Unlocking Insights with the Screaming Frog SEO Spider
Nikki Halliwell / General SEO
A useful step-by-step guide by Nikki going through how to develop an SEO audit making the most out of the features offered by Screaming Frog.
SEO Interview Blueprint [eBook]
SEO for Hire / SEO Careers
From Search to Signed - This guide by SEO for Hire helps you get your dream SEO job. Download now.
How to fix unassigned traffic in GA4
Gemma Fontané / SEO Measurement
Learn how to classify, track, and manage your web traffic effectively, ensuring your campaign traffic are never in the "Unassigned" category.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ JetOctopus Google Search Console SEO Insight Extractor
JetOctopus has a state-of-the-art Google Search Console SEO Insight Extractor with more than hundreds of data sets and visualization charts.
- SERP dynamics: Watch the percentage change in impressions, clicks, CTR, active pages, and ranking in dynamics. Find out which URLs have grown or dropped over time.
- Keywords: View the performance of all the keywords, new and lost keywords, zero-click keywords along with winners and losers (by impressions, clicks. CTR, positions).
- Cannibalisation tools: To see the number of pages fighting for one query and understand if you are losing the conversions here.
- Positions: Visualize all your rankings by positions in one chart. You can play with the data by segments.
- Countries: Watch SERP efficiency by countries.
- Google News tools
- Google Discover tools
|Register for a free trial now|
💸 Latest SEO Jobs
- Customer Success & Account Manager - US at Growth Plays
- Vice President, SEO at Paramount
- SEO and Digital Programming Coordinator at Storm Ideas
- Growth Marketing Strategist at dottob
- SEO Manager at Market My Market
- SEO Associate at Seer Interactive
- Senior SEO Specialist - Sales at Victorious
- SEO Associate Director at Zenith Global
- SEO Associate Director at PHD
- SEO Technical Manager (Italian Speaking) at GA Agency
- International Growth Lead at Eventbrite
Do you want your SEO job to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🛠 Free(mium) SEO Tools
Voxel - The Next Level of Keyword Research for SEO Professionals
Voxel aims to simplify the SEO process with a comprehensive and scalable keyword tool. By SEO professionals, for SEO professionals.
Elevating Content Relevance: A Free Search Intent Optimization Tool
Are you looking to evaluate the relevance of your page content towards its targeted queries for free? Check out the new Free Search Intent Optimization Tool by the awesome Andrea Volpini.
Free SEO Tools For Improved Productivity
A sitemap extractor, a bulk schema markup checker or an internal link catcher to discover internal linking opportunities. Take a look at SEO Sherpa's free tools.
Looking for more SEO Tools? Take a look at the recently launched SEOFOMO SEO Toolbox!
🎙️ Upcoming SEO Events
Global SEO Club October Event with Veronique Duong and Ebere Jonathan [Webinar]
Global SEO Club / Online / October 17, 2023
Join Global SEO Club's webinar to learn about cultural adaption and international SEO with Veronique and location targeting with Ebere. Sign up now!
The Digital PR Summit
Digitaloft / Manchester / April 11, 2024
Digitaloft presents The Digital PR Summit to be held on April 11, 2024, at The Stoller Hall, Manchester, England. Get your tickets now!
Search Central Live Singapore 2023
Google Search Central / Singapore / November 22, 2023
Search Central Live Singapore is coming back this year again on November 22. Registrations are now open until November 8. Fill out the form for a chance to secure your spot at the event.
Digital Transformation Summit
Conductor / Online / October 25, 2023
Change brings risks, but it also brings opportunities to get ahead by adapting your digital strategies. Join the Digital Transformation Summit to learn how.
Do you want your SEO event to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
💡 This week's SEO Tip: Avoid losing organic search traffic in Web Migrations with this SEO checklist
Some of the worst SEO horror stories happen during Web migrations. Although unfortunately sometimes SEO specialists are not involved since the migration planning -as would be ideal-, many are and go through a variety of difficulties when coordinating the different activities.
To avoid these issues I've created a minimum viable SEO validation checklist with must-do's before, during and after Web migrations to not lose, and instead, win organic search traffic, which you can copy here.
I highly recommend you not only use it yourself, but share it with across teams whenever you're starting an SEO process, especially the Web development one, so they can see all the tasks involved during Web migrations, and their importance towards organic search traffic and ultimately, user experience.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ How to Promote Your Agency: Class Lecture Held by a Thriving Boutique Agency
Myriam Jessier from Pragm boutique SEO agency will share her personal story alongside the stories of her colleagues.
- Branding and Storytelling: Crafting Your Agency’s Unique Identity
- Getting Better Clients: Positioning, Niching, and Pricing Strategies
- Agency Promotion: Personal Branding, Networking & Beyond
Better Deliverables: Closing the Gap Between Actual Value and Client Perception
|Enroll for Free|
🎥 Learn How to Manage an SEO Process For Free with the LearningSEO.io Accelerator
Are you learning how to manage your SEO process or want to refresh your knowledge about the topic? Watch the latest free LearningSEO.io accelerator session Q&A about managing an SEO process with Judith Lewis, SEO Consultant.
You can also watch the previous Learning SEO Accelerator Q&As sessions:
- Introduction to SEO with Aleyda Solis
- Keyword Research with Andy Chadwick
- Competition Research with Jo Turnbull
- Content Optimization with Crystal Carter
- Technical Optimization with Geoff Kennedy
- Link Building with Bibi Raven
- SEO Auditing with Chris Green
- SEO Strategy with Tory Gray
- Setting SEO Goals with Kevin Gibbons
- Measuring SEO with Cyrus Shepard
- SEO Reporting with Sophie Brannon
Subscribe to the LearningSEO.io YouTube channel and don't miss out on future editions about executing an SEO process, technical SEO, link building, and more!
🙌 SEOs & Digital Marketers to Follow
Follow these amazing SEOs who have lately published awesomeness covered by SEOFOMO:
- Michael King (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Founder and CEO at iPullRank and CMO at AIPRM
- Natalia Witczyk (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), CEO & International SEO Consultant at Mosquita Digital
- Nikki Halliwell (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Technical SEO Specialist at Journey Further
- Gemma Fontané (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), SEO Consultant Co-Founder Orvit Digital
- Ammon Johns (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Digital Marketing and SEO Consultant
⚡ Participate in the SEOFOMO 30K Giveaway and Win Free Access to 15 SEO Tools & Resources
A new SEOFOMO giveaway is here to celebrate that the newsletter is about to reach 30,000 subscribers with the chance to win amazing SEO prizes for all of those who are subscribed and help the newsletter achieve this big subscriber milestone. This time there will be a single big winner of 15 useful SEO tools and resources!
What can you win?
The big winner of the SEOFOMO 30K giveaway will get the following awesome prizes thanks to the wonderful giveaway sponsors:
- SEOTesting is giving 1 Team Lifetime SEOTesting Subscription to Track 5 sites.
- Sitebulb is giving a 1 Small Cloud Server subscription for 6 months.
- Screaming Frog is giving a 1 year SEO Spider license.
- AlsoAsked is giving a 3 months of a Pro account.
- Advanced Web Ranking is giving an AWR PRO license for 6 months.
- Adam Gent from the SEO Case Study Database is giving 1 Free Access to it.
- SE Ranking is giving a 6 months of Pro 1000 account, 100 extra articles for the Content Marketing tool and a demo by the success team. The winner will also have access to the SE Ranking Academy during this period.
- Quattr is giving a 6 months Free Access of the Individual Plan.
- Keyword Insights is giving a 20% off a monthly subscription for the first 5 months or Get 20% off an annual subscription. (First-time customers only, monthly or annual subscription only, to be used by a single customer).
- Semrush is giving a free 6 months Pro access.
- Ahrefs is giving a free 6 Months Access to a Lite Account.
- Kyle Rushton from KRMDigital UK’s School is giving a 1 person lifetime access to the GA4 course.
- Keywords in Sheets is giving 52,500 credits to use Keywords in Sheets.
- Wordlift is giving a lifetime subscription for the SEO Addon for Google Spreadsheet (which includes also the new features, the Content Expander) and Business Plan for 6 months (which includes also the SEO Addon).
- Speetals is giving a Basic plan for 1 year.
How can you participate?
You can participate to win all of these prizes by:
- Being an SEOFOMO subscriber. You're likely one if you're reading this but if you're not yet a subscriber you can do it here.
- Referring at least 2 people to subscribe to SEOFOMO from September 28, 2023 (date in which the newsletter has 28.4K subscribers) until the newsletter reaches 30,000 subscribers by using the SEOFOMO referral system that you can find at the bottom of the newsletter, where a unique link to share SEOFOMO is provided for each of you, and that will be used to keep track of the subscribers you send.
When SEOFOMO reaches the 30K subscribers I will randomly choose the one big winner among those who are subscribed and have referred at least 2 subscribers between September 28, 2023 and the date the newsletter reaches the 30K subscribers.
Please, don’t try to cheat by sending fake referrals. I will identify and won’t take into consideration not real “human” subscribers. I reserve the right to block those who I find cheating.
Do you have any questions or doubts? Just let me know through this form.
Subscribe and refer SEOFOMO to win the SEOFOMO 30K Giveway!
🔭 More Digital Marketing News & Jobs? Read and Subscribe to MarketingFOMO
If you're looking to stay updated on other digital marketing areas beyond SEO, take a look at MarketingFOMO, the sister weekly newsletter of SEOFOMO, with +1.7K subscribers, featuring the latest in content marketing, digital PR, social media, paid search and more!
|Subscribe to MarketingFOMO For Free|
💪 This week's SEOFOMO Featured Supporters
A huge THANK YOU to loyal SEOFOMOers referring +5 subscribers:
... You rock 👏
If you want to be featured here, take a look below at the SEOFOMO rewards program.
💙 Refer SEOFOMO to your Friends & Win Rewards
If you enjoy reading SEOFOMO, refer it to your SEO and digital marketing friends and win awesome (now updated) rewards with the SEOFOMO rewards program:
- Refer 2 Subscribers: Get a shout-out on Twitter from Aleyda, thanking your support
- Refer 5 Subscribers: Get featured in the "Supporters" thank you section in an edition of #SEOFOMO
- Refer 15 Subscribers: Get access to 3 Actionable (exclusive) SEO How-Tos / Tips Videos
- Refer 35 Subscribers: Get a free copy of The SEO Playbook by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 70 Subscribers: Get free access to the Google Search Console Mastery Course by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 100 Subscribers: Get a 1 hour SEO 1-1 Hangout with Aleyda, 1 SEOFOMO Mug and an SEOFOMO Hoodie
- Refer 500 Subscribers: Get a 2 hours SEO Q&A with Aleyda and an SEOFOMO Backpack
Here's your unique link to share #SEOFOMO: [RH_REFLINK GOES HERE]
Or share via: Twitter | Whatsapp | LinkedIn | Facebook | Email
You currently have [RH_TOTREF GOES HERE] referrals! Check more about your referrals and rewards here.
Note: Only real human referrals will be counted toward the rewards, and there will be a validation if suspicious activity is detected.
👀 Do you have Feedback?
As usual, if you want to give me any heads up of worthy SEO resources to include next week, you want to be featured, sponsored or any feedback on anything to improve in SEOFOMO, just reply to this email and let me know.
Until next week, keep safe, and remember, don't have FOMO, with SEOFOMO you'll always have SEO awesomeness in your inbox.