The October 15, 2023, edition of SEOFOMO is here! Now with +29K Subscribers 📮
[If you want to read SEOFOMO on the Web click here]
🗞️ Search Updates & News from Search Engines
Google Search officially stops indented results
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Google's Search Liaison confirmed Google stopped indenting search results a "few weeks ago".
SGE Update: Ability to generate imagery with AI or create the first draft of something you need to write
Hema Budaraju / Google Product Updates
"We’re testing new ways to get more done as you’re searching — like creating an image that can bring an idea to life, or getting help on a written draft when you need a starting point."
Google-Extended Robots Directive Does Not Work For Search Generative Experience
Barry Schwartz / Google Product Updates
The Google Search Generative Experience does not currently use Google-Extended. That means SGE's AI-generated answers can and will continue to show unless you block Googlebot fully.
Google tests adding a Discover Feed to its valuable desktop homepage
Jon Porter / Google Product Updates
Google says is experimenting with adding the feed to its desktop homepage. It shows news headlines, weather forecasts, share prices, and sports scores below the traditional Google Search box.
Google "People Also Buy From" Section In Search Results
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Google shows a section in the search results for "people also buy from." It seems Google will show you other stores where people can and will buy the item you are searching for.
Google Testing New Recipe Search Interface
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Google is testing yet another new recipe search interface. What is new? Header font size and look, enhanced filters, and more.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ Topic Clusters and Pillar Pages: What They Are & Why They Matter [Free Template]
Struggling to distinguish between topic clusters, pillar pages, hubs, and spokes? You’re not alone. That's why Conductor has put together an in-depth article on this very topic!
They go over the differences, best practices, SEO benefits, successful examples and more!
And you know the best thing? It includes a free template to help you set your content strategy up for success!
|Check out the guide and steal our template|
👌 This week's SEO Awesomeness
How to prepare for Google SGE: Actionable tips for SEO success
Philipp Götza / Search Trends
Curious how Search Generative Experience will impact your organic traffic? Here’s what we know – and don't know – so far, and how to prepare.
Brand Entity SEO – Whiteboard Friday [Video]
Jes Scholz / General SEO
Does Google know who your brand is? Are you a stranger, a familiar face, or a friend of Google? Understand why you should become a well-connected brand entity in the Knowledge Graph in this Whiteboard Friday from the amazing Jes Scholz.
Google Search Console Data & BigQuery For Enhanced Analytics
Myriam Jessier / SEO Measurement
Understand the benefits of doing a bulk export from Google Search Console to BigQuery in 15 minutes or less. Find out if it's worth your time as an SEO.
How communication issues prevent you from getting buy-in for SEO
Mariya Delano / SEO Management
Has your CEO or CFO rejected your SEO budget? Here’s why you should think about your conflict in terms of communication and safety.
Helpful Content Update, by Ad Network [Thread]
Mike Futia / Search Updates
Mike has access to websites using Mediavine, AdThrive/Raptive, 774 Ezoic and 331 Freestar. How many of the sites using each ad network were hit by the Helpful Content Update? Take a look!
5 Marketing Principles To Maximize SEO Effectiveness
Ben Wood / SEO Management
Learn how to adapt and future-proof your brand's organic success with these 5 essential building blocks.
An Easier Way To Make Machine Learning Forecasts Smarter
David Westby / SEO Management
Want your forecasts to be smarter? David explains how machine learning can make that happen in this comprehensive guide.
9 salary negotiation tips for search marketers
Helen Pollitt / SEO Careers
Get empowered in your marketing salary negotiations. Learn how to negotiate fair compensation with these practical tips and insights.
ADHDSEOWTF: How to Do SEO With ADHD
Hannah Brady / SEO Careers
Doing SEO with ADHD can be a lot. Hannah shares tips and tricks she's learned from years of chaotic content strategy that might help to make it a bit easier.
I Subscribed to 72 SEO Newsletters. Here Are My 11 Favorites
Ryan Law / SEO News
The 11 newsletters featured here cover every corner of the search world, including Google algorithm updates, local SEO tips, detailed tutorials, and new job opportunities.
16 Best SEO Podcasts in 2023
Austin Goodwin / SEO News
There’s no shortage of SEO podcasts in 2023, but how do you know which ones are worth your time? We take a look at the 16 best SEO podcasts out there.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
- Page can’t be fully rendered
- Incomplete content
- Lost internal links
- Different content for User-agents
- SSR is broken
- SSR misses some content
- Changed titles, meta descriptions by JS
- Indexation management is changed and the page is not crawled by Googlebot
If you don't monitor JS you definitely lose SEO opportunities! You need the tools to analyze the correctness of JS. We offer you the visualised JS tools which will mark all JS errors and you'll get the exact how-to fix reports. The developers will love it!
Please, use the extended 14-days free trial to find JS errors. Don't forget to use promo code Aleyda.
|More about JetOctopus JS tools|
💸 Latest SEO Jobs
- Country Manager SEO - Milan at GreenTomatoMedia
- Director of SEO Strategy - United States at Local SEO Guide
- VP of SEO | Education - Puerto Rico at Red Ventures
- SEO Manager - UK at Adzuna
- SEO Strategist at RicketyRoo Inc
- SEO Executive - iGaming at Finixio
- SEO Content Manager (f/m/x) at AUTO1 Group
- SEO Manager at Merkle
- Technical SEO Manager at Raketech
- SEO Consultant at DealerOn
- Senior SEO Editor at Launch Potato
- SEO Strategist at Celarity
- Director of Organic Marketing at Community Phone
- Senior SEO Manager at VSCO
- Technical SEO Manager - Casino at Time2play Media
- Director of Growth Marketing at HyperionDev
Do you want your SEO job to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🛠 Free(mium) SEO Tools
Entity Indexing Checker
Check how Google indexes the entities embedded in your Website content.
Lighthouse Report Diff Tool
Compare two Lighthouse reports. You just need to drag and drop your JSON/HTML, or select the files from disk.
Looking for more SEO Tools? Take a look at the recently launched SEOFOMO SEO Toolbox!
🎙️ Upcoming SEO Events
SERPs of the Week Ep. #17 - The Future of Link Building w/ Aleyda Solís, Judith Lewis & Debra Mastaler [Webinar]
Digital Olympus / Online / October 18, 2023
You can't miss the upcoming episode of the "SERPs of the Week Podcast" featuring a stellar lineup of speakers who will discuss the future of link building.
Sydney SEO Conference 2024
Prosperity Media / Sydney / March 1, 2024
Prosperity Media has announced the Sydney SEO Conference 2024 - To be run on Friday 1st of March 2024. Register now!
WTSFest London 2024
Women in Tech SEO / London / March 8, 2024
The Women in Tech SEO Festival is back in London on Friday, March 8th 2024! Check out the speaker line-up and buy your tickets now.
Do you want your SEO event to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
💡 This week's SEO Tip: Assess Your Rankings Drops from Recent Updates
If your site pages dropped in rankings during the latest updates but you can't see the issues with their content quality or experience, here's what to do:
- Copy this sheet featuring content quality questions.
- Assess your pages that dropped for top terms with these questions.
- Asses with these questions the pages outranking yours for those queries.
- Don't do this assessment only yourself, ask others, colleagues, and non-colleagues, your actual users to answer them. They might see stuff differently than you do.
Compare and identify the gap between your pages and the top-ranking ones. Remember that:
- Many times the devil is in the detail, eg. a few more ads that make the experience annoying.
- In other cases is not that you did something “wrong”, your pages' content type/format might just seen now as a poorer match to satisfy the search intent for those queries at that stage of the journey, and you might need to take that into account in your content strategy to diversify.
Optimize, refine, or pivot your SEO efforts with these pages accordingly.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ Free class by successful agency owner Myriam Jessier
The SE Ranking Agency Course is a cutting-edge program designed to empower digital marketing professionals with the latest strategies and tools for SEO and online marketing success.
“If the client takes sixty percent of your inbox but not sixty percent of your income, you need a better client.” – Myriam Jessier
|Enroll for Free|
🎥 Learn How to Report SEO For Free with the LearningSEO.io Accelerator
Are you learning about how to report the SEO process or want to refresh your knowledge about the topic? Watch the latest free LearningSEO.io accelerator session Q&A about reporting SEO with Sophie Brannon, Director of SEO RushOrderTees.
You can also watch the previous Learning SEO Accelerator Q&As sessions:
- Introduction to SEO with Aleyda Solis
- Keyword Research with Andy Chadwick
- Competition Research with Jo Turnbull
- Content Optimization with Crystal Carter
- Technical Optimization with Geoff Kennedy
- Link Building with Bibi Raven
- SEO Auditing with Chris Green
- SEO Strategy with Tory Gray
- Setting SEO Goals with Kevin Gibbons
- Measuring SEO with Cyrus Shepard
Subscribe to the LearningSEO.io YouTube channel and don't miss out on future editions about executing an SEO process, technical SEO, link building, and more!
🙌 SEOs & Digital Marketers to Follow
Follow these amazing SEOs who are also company founders:
- Suganthan Mohanadasan (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Co-founder and Product Lead of Keyword Insights
- Dixon Jones (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), CEO of InLinks
- Alexandra Tachalova (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), CEO of InLinks
- Bibi Raven (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Founder of BibiBuzz
- Gabriella Sannino (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Managing Partner Level343
⚡ Participate in the SEOFOMO 30K Giveaway and Win Free Access to 15 SEO Tools & Resources
A new SEOFOMO giveaway is here to celebrate that the newsletter is about to reach 30,000 subscribers with the chance to win amazing SEO prizes for all of those who are subscribed and help the newsletter achieve this big subscriber milestone. This time there will be a single big winner of 15 useful SEO tools and resources!
What can you win?
The big winner of the SEOFOMO 30K giveaway will get the following awesome prizes thanks to the wonderful giveaway sponsors:
- SEOTesting is giving 1 Team Lifetime SEOTesting Subscription to Track 5 sites.
- Sitebulb is giving a 1 Small Cloud Server subscription for 6 months.
- Screaming Frog is giving a 1 year SEO Spider license.
- AlsoAsked is giving a 3 months of a Pro account.
- Advanced Web Ranking is giving an AWR PRO license for 6 months.
- Adam Gent from the SEO Case Study Database is giving 1 Free Access to it.
- SE Ranking is giving a 6 months of Pro 1000 account, 100 extra articles for the Content Marketing tool and a demo by the success team. The winner will also have access to the SE Ranking Academy during this period.
- Quattr is giving a 6 months Free Access of the Individual Plan.
- Keyword Insights is giving a 20% off a monthly subscription for the first 5 months or Get 20% off an annual subscription. (First-time customers only, monthly or annual subscription only, to be used by a single customer).
- Semrush is giving a free 6 months Pro access.
- Ahrefs is giving a free 6 Months Access to a Lite Account.
- Kyle Rushton from KRMDigital UK’s School is giving a 1 person lifetime access to the GA4 course.
- Keywords in Sheets is giving 52,500 credits to use Keywords in Sheets.
- Wordlift is giving a lifetime subscription for the SEO Addon for Google Spreadsheet (which includes also the new features, the Content Expander) and Business Plan for 6 months (which includes also the SEO Addon).
- Speetals is giving a Basic plan for 1 year.
How can you participate?
You can participate to win all of these prizes by:
- Being an SEOFOMO subscriber. You're likely one if you're reading this but if you're not yet a subscriber you can do it here.
- Referring at least 2 people to subscribe to SEOFOMO from September 28, 2023 (date in which the newsletter has 28.4K subscribers) until the newsletter reaches 30,000 subscribers by using the SEOFOMO referral system that you can find at the bottom of the newsletter, where a unique link to share SEOFOMO is provided for each of you, and that will be used to keep track of the subscribers you send.
When SEOFOMO reaches the 30K subscribers I will randomly choose the one big winner among those who are subscribed and have referred at least 2 subscribers between September 28, 2023 and the date the newsletter reaches the 30K subscribers.
Please, don’t try to cheat by sending fake referrals. I will identify and won’t take into consideration not real “human” subscribers. I reserve the right to block those who I find cheating.
Do you have any questions or doubts? Just let me know through this form.
Subscribe and refer SEOFOMO to win the SEOFOMO 30K Giveway!
🔭 More Digital Marketing News & Jobs? Read and Subscribe to MarketingFOMO
If you're looking to stay updated on other digital marketing areas beyond SEO, take a look at MarketingFOMO, the sister weekly newsletter of SEOFOMO, with +1.7K subscribers, featuring the latest in content marketing, digital PR, social media, paid search and more!
|Subscribe to MarketingFOMO For Free|
💪 This week's SEOFOMO Featured Supporters
A huge THANK YOU to loyal SEOFOMOers referring +5 subscribers:
- Sander Heilbron, Creator of httpstatus.io
... You rock 👏
If you want to be featured here, take a look below at the SEOFOMO rewards program.
💙 Refer SEOFOMO to your Friends & Win Rewards
If you enjoy reading SEOFOMO, refer it to your SEO and digital marketing friends and win awesome (now updated) rewards with the SEOFOMO rewards program:
- Refer 2 Subscribers: Get a shout-out on Twitter from Aleyda, thanking your support
- Refer 5 Subscribers: Get featured in the "Supporters" thank you section in an edition of #SEOFOMO
- Refer 15 Subscribers: Get access to 3 Actionable (exclusive) SEO How-Tos / Tips Videos
- Refer 35 Subscribers: Get a free copy of The SEO Playbook by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 70 Subscribers: Get free access to the Google Search Console Mastery Course by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 100 Subscribers: Get a 1 hour SEO 1-1 Hangout with Aleyda, 1 SEOFOMO Mug and an SEOFOMO Hoodie
- Refer 500 Subscribers: Get a 2 hours SEO Q&A with Aleyda and an SEOFOMO Backpack
Here's your unique link to share #SEOFOMO: [RH_REFLINK GOES HERE]
Or share via: Twitter | Whatsapp | LinkedIn | Facebook | Email
You currently have [RH_TOTREF GOES HERE] referrals! Check more about your referrals and rewards here.
Note: Only real human referrals will be counted toward the rewards, and there will be a validation if suspicious activity is detected.
👀 Do you have Feedback?
As usual, if you want to give me any heads up of worthy SEO resources to include next week, you want to be featured, sponsored or any feedback on anything to improve in SEOFOMO, just reply to this email and let me know.
Until next week, keep safe, and remember, don't have FOMO, with SEOFOMO you'll always have SEO awesomeness in your inbox.