The September 17, 2023, edition of SEOFOMO is here! Now with +28K Subscribers 📮
[If you want to read SEOFOMO on the Web click here]
🗞️ Search Updates & News from Search Engines
The September 2023 Helpful Content Update is Rolled Out
Google Search Central / Google Search Updates
The September 2023 helpful content update is rolling out with an improved classifier. It will take about two weeks to complete.
What’s new with the Google helpful content update
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Now that Google has released the September 2023 helpful content update, Barry digs in to see what is new in its search documentation and what has changed with the Google helpful content system.
HowTo and FAQ Rich Results Deprecated On Desktop Results As Well
Google Search Central / Google Search Updates
"As of September 13, Google Search no longer shows How-to rich results on desktop, which means this result type is now deprecated."
Associate Search Console to Merchant Center to Discover Growth Opportunities
Google Search Central / Google Product Updates
Search Console is launching a few enhancements to the Shopping tab Listings report to help merchants better manage their product offering.
Google: Site Name Issues Massively Dropped Since Last Algorithm Update
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Danny Sullivan said that the number of issues and complaints posted in the forums about site names being wrong in Google search has "massively dropped" since the last Google site names update in July.
Google CEO on SGE and Search evolution: ‘We’ll get it right’
Danny Goodwin / Google Trends
Sundar Pichai compares the shift to SGE to the shift from desktop to mobile – and believes it won't blow up Google's current business model.
5 ways Amazon is making it easier to search and shop for products
Llew Mason / Amazon Search Updates
Amazon is releasing new search and discovery features that enable you to shop when, where, and how you want: searching with a combination of images and text, visualizing products on tables and countertops, discovering popular products with sales trend information, and more!
⚡ Organic Traffic Industry Benchmarks
Are you lagging behind the competition?
Comparing your website’s organic performance to the latest SEO industry benchmarks is a great way to see how you measure up and helps contextualize YTD data and adapt to hit your numbers for the year!
|Check out how you measure up|
👌 This week's SEO Awesomeness
Google August 2023 Core Update: Winners, Losers & Analysis
Lily Ray / General SEO
Lily shares how the latest Google's core update rewarded high-E-E-A-T -sites like Reddit, educational institutions, and government entities- while it demoted tactics like “Parasite SEO” as well as content farms relying heavily on AI-generated text.
A 6-minute process to diagnose E-E-A-T issues
Andrew Holland / Content Optimization
In a future filled with E-E-A-T and AI, SEO will be less about doing and (possibly) more about directing. Andrew explains why.
The Ultimate News SEO Checklist: How to Optimize Your News Articles Before Publishing
John Shehata / News SEO
Editorial teams have a lot on their plate, from writing the story, crafting headlines, verifying stories, adding rich media and much more. To facilitate their tasks, John shares a complete list of all must-have SEO items before publishing a news story online.
How to Make AI Your Writing Sidekick for Content Marketing
Tasmin Lofthouse / Content Optimization
Tasmin shares her tips on how to make AI your content marketing sidekick. Optimize every step of the process, from generating ideas to crafting headlines and simplifying your writing.
How To Reduce Page Weight For Text Resources [Video]
Dave Smart / Technical SEO
Learn how to reduce page weight across your website to improve user experience and technical SEO in this on-demand webinar with Dave Smart.
How to Repurpose Your Old Content – Whiteboard Friday [Video]
Ross Simmonds / Content Optimization
Join Ross Simmonds in this Whiteboard Friday as he shares strategies to transform your old content into valuable assets that drive results and boost brand authority.
How Long Should An SEO Migration Take? [Study]
Dan Taylor / Technical SEO
Discover insights from 171 domain migrations to help you mitigate risks for your company's migration project.
10 Days Of Link Building Gold (For Free)
Freddie Chatt / Link Building
Each email from this free 10-day link-building course includes actionable link-building tactics by a team of link building experts.
BrightonSEO September 2023 Edition Presentations
BrightonSEO / SEO Events
Take a look at +85 BrightonSEO presentations that have been made available so far. A big thank you to Jo Walters from BrightonSEO for her support in sharing it with you.
- Do you want to see more decks? All those that become available will be linked in the future too from the official BrightonSEO site talks pages here.
- Do you want to speak at BrightonSEO? You can now pitch to speak here at the next BrightonSEO UK in April 2024. If you need help with your pitch, check out this template that I've created for it.
Publish a Guest Post on Moz Blog
Moz / SEO Publications
Moz is looking for authors in Growth Marketing, SEO and Content Marketing to share their unique insight in their Blog. Pitch now!
⚡ Live GBP Audit with Amanda Jordan
Join Amanda Jordan (RicketyRoo) for our next Live Google Business Profile Audit, where she will choose two service-area businesses to audit live on-air. Amanda lives and breathes local SEO for service-area businesses, so who better to host this session?
- When: Wednesday, September 20
- Time: 9am PT / 12pm ET / 5pm BST
Amanda will go through her auditing process, and share her advice on how to optimize your profiles. And if that wasn’t enough, she’ll answer live questions from the audience!
Even if you’re not a SAB, you’re guaranteed to learn something new about auditing GBPs and optimizing them for the best results.
💸 Latest SEO Jobs
- SEO Manager - US Remote at Yahoo
- SEO Group Manager - Amsterdam at Miro
- SEO Manager at SGK
- SEO Analyst at Velir
- SEO Analyst at RYNO
- SEO Content at Editor Spotlight Sports Group
- SEO Engineer at iPullRank
- Digital Marketing Specialist at 97th Floor
- Marketing Lead at Wynter
Do you want your SEO job to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🛠 Free(mium) SEO Tools
Ahrefs SEO Toolbar: Get a handy SEO assistant for your browser
Instant on-page SEO report, broken link checker, redirect tracer, and local search simulator - all in Ahrefs SEO Toolbar for free.
Do you want your free or freemium SEO tool to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🎙️ Upcoming SEO Events
WTSFest USA 2023
Women in Tech SEO / Philadelphia, USA / September 21
The Women in Tech SEO Festival is coming to the USA for the first time ever on Thursday, September 21st, 2023.
Pubcon Pro Annual
Pubcon / Austin, USA / September 21
The Pubcon Pro Annual 2023 conference will take place from September 19 through September 21st, 2023, at the AT&T Conference Center in Austin.
SEO Vibes on Tour - Stockholm
WhitePress / Stockholm, Sweden / September 22
Whitepress is organizing SEO Vibes on Tour in Stockholm on September 22nd, the perfect meetup for Swedish SEOs to connect and learn.
Do you want your free or freemium SEO event to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🎥 Learn How to Set SEO Goals For Free with the LearningSEO.io Accelerator
Are you learning about establishing SEO goals or want to refresh your knowledge about the topic? Watch the latest free LearningSEO.io accelerator session Q&A about setting SEO goals with Kevin Gibbons, Re:Signal Founder and Director.
You can also watch previous sessions, take a look:
- Introduction to SEO with Aleyda Solis
- Keyword Research with Andy Chadwick
- Competition Research with Jo Turnbull
- Content Optimization with Crystal Carter
- Technical Optimization with Geoff Kennedy
- Link Building with Bibi Raven
- SEO Auditing with Chris Green
- SEO Strategy with Tory Gray
Subscribe to the LearningSEO.io YouTube channel and don't miss out on future editions about executing an SEO process, technical SEO, link building, and more!
🙌 SEOs & Digital Marketers to Follow
Follow these amazing SEOs who just spoke at BrightonSEO:
- Billie Geena (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), SEO Consultant and Founder at Uptake Agency
- Ruth Everett (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Senior SEO Testing Consultant at SearchPilot
- Sara Fernández (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), International SEO Consultant
- Petra Kis-Herczegh (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Freelance SEO Consultant
- Giulia Panozzo (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Director of Customer Acquisition at StockX
- Maret Reutelingsperger (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Digital Comms Consultant - SEO, Email and Automation at Mobe Digital
⚡ Win One of Two Accesses to Dana DiTomaso's Analytics for Agencies Online Course
Have you been struggling to communicate the great results you're getting to your clients? Then this SEOFOMO giveaway is for you!
Dana DiTomaso (president of Kick Point) has released a new in-depth online course called Analytics for Agencies that will teach you everything you need to know about selling and delivering analytics solutions:
- Streamline your approach to analytics, provide your team with effective training, and gain the skills needed to plan, set up, analyze, and optimize data-driven marketing strategies for your clients.
- Receive client-ready templates, plus a complete guide on GA4, Google Tag Manager, and Looker Studio!
The Analytics for Agencies online course has a cost of $979.00 USD, but you have the chance to win one of two accesses here.
How can you participate to win one of the two accesses to the Analytics for Agencies online course? You just need to:
- Be an SEOFOMO subscriber (which you'll likely be if you're reading this)
- Refer at least 2 people to subscribe to SEOFOMO from August 27, 2023 until September 23, 2023 by using the SEOFOMO referral system that you can find at the bottom of the newsletter, where a unique link to share SEOFOMO is provided for each of you, and that will be used to keep track of the subscribers you send.
On September 24, 2023, I will randomly choose the two winners among those who are subscribed and have referred at least 2 subscribers between August 27, 2023 and September 23, 2023.
I'll announce the winners over here in SEOFOMO, social media, and will get in touch via email with instructions to follow.
Please, don't try to cheat by sending fake referrals. I will identify and won't take into consideration not real "human" subscribers. I reserve the right to block those who I find cheating.
Do you have any questions or doubts? Just let me know by replying to this email.
Start referring SEOFOMO and participate now!
PS: If you don't want to wait, you can directly buy the Analytics for Agencies now with 10% off for being an SEOFOMO subscriber here.
🔭 More Digital Marketing News & Jobs? Read and Subscribe to MarketingFOMO
If you're looking to stay updated on other digital marketing areas beyond SEO, take a look at MarketingFOMO, the sister weekly newsletter of SEOFOMO, with +1.6K subscribers, featuring the latest in content marketing, digital PR, social media, paid search and more!
|Subscribe to MarketingFOMO For Free|
💙 Refer SEOFOMO to your Friends & Win Rewards
If you enjoy reading SEOFOMO, refer it to your SEO and digital marketing friends and win awesome (now updated) rewards with the SEOFOMO rewards program:
- Refer 2 Subscribers: Get a shout-out on Twitter from Aleyda, thanking your support
- Refer 5 Subscribers: Get featured in the "Supporters" thank you section in an edition of #SEOFOMO
- Refer 15 Subscribers: Get access to 3 Actionable (exclusive) SEO How-Tos / Tips Videos
- Refer 35 Subscribers: Get a free copy of The SEO Playbook by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 70 Subscribers: Get free access to the Google Search Console Mastery Course by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 100 Subscribers: Get a 1 hour SEO 1-1 Hangout with Aleyda, 1 SEOFOMO Mug and an SEOFOMO Hoodie
- Refer 500 Subscribers: Get a 2 hours SEO Q&A with Aleyda and an SEOFOMO Backpack
Here's your unique link to share #SEOFOMO: [RH_REFLINK GOES HERE]
Or share via: Twitter | Whatsapp | LinkedIn | Facebook | Email
You currently have [RH_TOTREF GOES HERE] referrals! Check more about your referrals and rewards here.
Note: Only real human referrals will be counted toward the rewards, and there will be a validation if suspicious activity is detected.
👀 Do you have Feedback?
As usual, if you want to give me any heads up of worthy SEO resources to include next week, you want to be featured, sponsored or any feedback on anything to improve in SEOFOMO, just reply to this email and let me know.
Until next week, keep safe, and remember, don't have FOMO, with SEOFOMO you'll always have SEO awesomeness in your inbox.