The October 29, 2023, edition of SEOFOMO is here! Now with +29.7K Subscribers 📮
[If you want to read SEOFOMO on the Web click here]
🗞️ Search Updates and News from Search Engines
Top news from October 2023: What's New In Structured Data And Google Search Rankings? [Video]
Google Search Central / Google Search Updates
Did you know that FAQ and HowTo structured data are no longer used in Google Search? Learn more with the October ‘23 episode of Google Search News!
Google Now Allows Mixing Structured Data Formats
Roger Montti / Google Search Updates
Google announced a new way to communicate Structured Data using Syntax Graph Merge, which means mixing Schema formats.
Google Rich Results For Events Removed From Search Snippets
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Updates
Google has confirmed that it has removed event rich results from showing under search result snippets. You may have noticed a reduction in clicks from Google Search related to this change.
Google Provides Signs That You're Writing Unhelpful Content
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Q&A
Google's Search Liaison, Danny Sullivan, has provided examples of unhelpful content types. He also provided examples of strategies writers may use to write unhelpful content.
Google Announcement: 3 New Ways To Check Images And Sources Online
Nidhi Hebbar, Christopher Savčak / Google Product Updates
Google announces 3 new ways to get more context about the images and sources you’re finding online: About this image, image searching in Fact Check Explorer, and more information about sources in SGE.
Google: Cumulative Layout Shift Not The Reason For Sudden Ranking Drops
Barry Schwartz / Google Search Q&A
Google's John Mueller said that an issue with Cumulative Layout Shift scores would not be a reason why your website suddenly and significantly drops in the Google search results rankings.
Google SafeSearch: Three Quick Tips [Video]
Daniel Waisberg / Google Search Q&A
Check out a short with Daniel Waisberg for 3 quick tips for ensuring a family-friendly online experience.
Google testing ads between organic results?
Nicola Agius / Google Search Tests
Sponsored posts have been spotted where the third and fifth organic positions usually run in Google's search result pages.
Google Paid a Whopping $26.3 Billion In 2021 to be The Default Search Engine Everywhere
David Pierce / Google Search Q&A
We knew Google paid handsomely to be the default browser in Safari, Firefox, and elsewhere. Now we know, after years of guessing, exactly what it cost.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ Topic Clusters and Pillar Pages: What They Are & Why They Matter [Free Template]
Struggling to distinguish between topic clusters, pillar pages, hubs, and spokes? You’re not alone. That's why Conductor has put together an in-depth article on this very topic!
They go over the differences, best practices, SEO benefits, successful examples and more! And you know the best thing? It includes a free template to help you set your content strategy up for success!
|Check out the guide and steal our template|
👌 This week's SEO Awesomeness
A Recap of Google Search Central Zurich
Olesia Korobka / SEO Events
Olesia shares an in-depth summary of Google's recent Search event in Zurich distilling key insights on topics like Shopping, SEO, SafeSearch, web migrations, structured data, and life without cookies.
How to Train SEOs for the Future of Search
Natasha Burtenshaw-deVries / SEO Careers
Natasha shares her thoughts on what’s wrong with how we train SEOs right now, how that needs to change for the future, and practical tips and exercises to train other SEOs yourself.
From Google SGE to Core Updates Threats: The Worst SEO Horror Stories in 2023 (with Ways to Address Them)
Yours Truly / General SEO
From the uncertainty of Google's generative search to the unpredictability of core updates or Web migration issues. Learn to tackle today's top SEO Horror stories.
A Complete Guide To Preventing Keyword Cannibalization
Lazarina Stoy / Content Optimization
Learn how to identify, fix, and prevent cannibalization issues on your site with Lazarina covering all types of cannibalization, associated metrics, and best practices.
How SEOs can successfully collaborate with web developers
Amanda King / SEO Management
Find out how an agile mindset, proactive communication and shared learning can transform your working relationship with developers.
Getting SEO Buy-In [Video]
Crawling Mondays / General SEO
Learn how to get SEO Buy-in for your SEO recommendations with Tom Critchlow and Petra Kis-Herczegh, going through the worst scenarios, and mistakes, as well as tips and steps to get the support you need for SEO implementation.
Chrome DevTools Override For SEO
Mike Ginley / Technical SEO
Chrome DevTools Override can help illustrate changes to leadership and developers. Mike shows how to use it.
Shopify SEO Guide 2023
Matt Allen / Ecommerce SEO
An in-depth breakdown of how to optimize your Shopify-based online store.
Optimizing Core Web Vitals for Business Decision Makers
Barry Pollard / Pages Experience
Learn how business decision-makers and non-developers can help improve Core Web Vitals in this highly comprehensive guide, along with the examples.
How to Achieve SEO Auditing Success Today – Whiteboard Friday [Video]
Yours Truly / General SEO
Want to achieve SEO Auditing Success in 2023? Watch the latest Whiteboard Friday where I share 5 actionable tips to facilitate execution and achieve success.
I Deleted the Content From Two Posts To See if They’d Still Rank. Here’s What Happened
Patrick Stox / Content Optimization
Would Google really rank blank pages? Or will rankings drop like a stone when the content is deleted? Here's the answer from the experiment Patrick did.
Top 5 News Headlines Every Article Should Have and Optimize
John Shehata / News SEO
Crafting compelling headlines is crucial for driving traffic and engagement to your news stories. Every article needs multiple optimized headlines for different contexts. Follow these SEO tips to hook readers and rank higher in search.
How We Used Microsoft Clarity to Improve Conversions By 122%
Celeste Gonzalez / General SEO
What can you do for the client who has increasing organic traffic month over month and year over year? The clicks are coming in and people are checking out the content, but there’s a less than 1% conversion rate when it comes to form submissions. Celeste goes through a successful case study!
How to Blend Universal Analytics (UA) and Google Analytics 4 (GA4) Data in Looker Studio
Dana DiTomaso / SEO Measurement
Learn how to blend UA and GA4 data together in Looker Studio so that you can present your metrics in one graph, combined between the two properties.
Inside Google’s massive 2023 E-E-A-T Knowledge Graph update
Jason Barnard / Content Optimization
Dive deep into the latest Knowledge Graph update's impact on person entities and how Google's focus on subtitles enhances E-E-A-T signals.
Finding Subject-Matter Experts to Review Your Content: The Ultimate Guide
Blair MacGregor / Content Optimization
Building a trustworthy brand is the only way you’ll succeed online for the long haul. Here's how you can find subject-matter experts to review your content.
Crafting a Winning SEO Strategy: A Guide for In-House Marketers [Free Course]
Kevin Indig / General SEO
Learn the building blocks to develop an SEO strategy: Its components, including crafting effective plans, creating actionable roadmaps, leveraging advantages, and securing executive support.
WTSKnowledge from Women in Tech SEO is Open for New Article Pitches
Areej AbuAli / General SEO
Are you a woman in SEO looking to publish about SEO? WTSKnowledge is open for new article pitches. Published writers are paid £250 for their articles. The pitch process will be open for 2 weeks till November 6th.
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ JetOctopus Google Search Console SEO Insight Extractor
JetOctopus has a state-of-the-art Google Search Console SEO Insight Extractor with more than hundreds of data sets and visualization charts.
- SERP dynamics: Watch the percentage change in impressions, clicks, CTR, active pages, and ranking in dynamics. Find out which URLs have grown or dropped over time.
- Keywords: View the performance of all the keywords, new and lost keywords, zero-click keywords along with winners and losers (by impressions, clicks. CTR, positions).
- Cannibalisation tools: To see the number of pages fighting for one query and understand if you are losing the conversions here.
- Positions: Visualize all your rankings by positions in one chart. You can play with the data by segments.
- Countries: Watch SERP efficiency by countries.
- Google News tools
- Google Discover tools
|Register for a free trial now|
💸 Latest SEO Jobs
- SEO Manager - Gatwick/London (Hybrid) at Nespresso
- SEO Specialist Asia at MegaBlock
- Head of SEO at Finom
- Manager, SEO Marketing at Taskrabbit
- Manager of Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) & Website Strategy at WP Engine
- Content Marketing Manager at PermitFlow
- Director of Growth, SEO and SEM at Zen Media
- Growth Marketing Manager (Fully Remote & Full-Time) at Pip Decks
- Online Marketing Specialist at KTH Marketing
- Senior Growth Manager - Digital Marketing at Zest Digital
- Director of Editorial Content at DataCamp
Do you want your SEO job to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
🛠 Free(mium) SEO Tools
Internal Link Catcher by SEO Sherpa
Get internal linking opportunities instantly: enter your target keyword, landing page, and XML sitemap URL.
Free SEO Audit Template for 2023
A free-to-download SEO Audit template in multiple formats (Docs, Sheets, Excel, Word, PDF). Covers technical, content, and link optimization for a comprehensive SEO audit.
Looking for more SEO Tools? Take a look at the recently launched SEOFOMO SEO Toolbox!
🎙️ Upcoming SEO Events
LondonSEO Meetup - November 2023
Blue Array / London, UK / November 9, 2023
Blue Array will be hosting another LondonSEO Meetup on Thursday 9 Novemeber 2023 at the wonderful Trainline HQ in London, featuring 4 SEO talks.
Re:commerce SEO Conference 2024
Re:Signal / London, UK / March 15, 2024
Re:commerce is back. Join the brightest minds in eCommerce SEO. No vendors. No sales pitches. Just insights, ideas, and open discussions.
Friends Of Search 2024
DDMA, VIA / Amsterdam, Netherlands / March 21, 2024
Mark your calendars because the next edition of Friends of Search will take place on 21 March 2024. Book your tickets now!
Do you want your SEO event to be featured here for free? Just send it over here!
[Sponsor / Affiliate]
⚡ How to Promote Your Agency: Class Lecture Held by a Thriving Boutique Agency
Myriam Jessier from Pragm boutique SEO agency will share her personal story alongside the stories of her colleagues.
- Branding and Storytelling: Crafting Your Agency’s Unique Identity
- Getting Better Clients: Positioning, Niching, and Pricing Strategies
- Agency Promotion: Personal Branding, Networking & Beyond
Better Deliverables: Closing the Gap Between Actual Value and Client Perception
|Enroll for Free|
🎥 Learn How to Manage an SEO Process For Free with the LearningSEO.io Accelerator
Are you learning how to manage your SEO process or want to refresh your knowledge about the topic? Watch the latest free LearningSEO.io accelerator session Q&A about managing an SEO process with Judith Lewis, SEO Consultant.
You can also watch the previous Learning SEO Accelerator Q&As sessions:
- Introduction to SEO with Aleyda Solis
- Keyword Research with Andy Chadwick
- Competition Research with Jo Turnbull
- Content Optimization with Crystal Carter
- Technical Optimization with Geoff Kennedy
- Link Building with Bibi Raven
- SEO Auditing with Chris Green
- SEO Strategy with Tory Gray
- Setting SEO Goals with Kevin Gibbons
- Measuring SEO with Cyrus Shepard
- SEO Reporting with Sophie Brannon
Subscribe to the LearningSEO.io YouTube channel and don't miss out on future editions about executing an SEO process, technical SEO, link building, and more!
🙌 SEOs & Digital Marketers to Follow
Follow these amazing women in SEOs who I had the wonderful opportunity to see at the latest Google Search Central Live in Zurich:
- Olesia Korobka (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), SEO Consultant at Fajela
- Ulrika Viberg (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), CEO and Founder at UNIKORN AB
- Adriana Stein (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Founder & CEO at AS Marketing
- Maria Amelie White (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Global Search Lead at Kurt Geiger
- Alizée Baudez (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Independent SEO Consultant
- Isaline Muelhauser (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Independent SEO Consultant
- Dawn Anderson (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), SEO Consultant and Managing Director at Bertey
- Sara Moccand-Sayegh (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), SEO Specialist at Liip
- Corina Burri (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Team Lead Digital Analytics & SEO at Credit Suisse
- Natalie Slater (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Independent SEO Consultant
- Nadia Mojahed (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), International SEO Consultant at SEO Transformer
- Gabriela Troxler (LinkedIn), Senior SEO Consultant at xeit gmbh
- Dani Leitner (LinkedIn), Search Engine Optimization Consultant at Webrepublic
- Cynthia Campoverde (LinkedIn), SEO & Traffic Generation Specialist at Sisal
- Lizzi Sassman (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Senior Technical Writer at Google
- Aurora Morales (X/Twitter, LinkedIn), Trust & Safety Global Engagements Manager at Google
⚡ Participate in the SEOFOMO 30K Giveaway and Win Free Access to 15 SEO Tools & Resources
A new SEOFOMO giveaway is here to celebrate that the newsletter is about to reach 30,000 subscribers with the chance to win amazing SEO prizes for all of those who are subscribed and help the newsletter achieve this big subscriber milestone. This time there will be a single big winner of 15 useful SEO tools and resources!
What can you win?
The big winner of the SEOFOMO 30K giveaway will get the following awesome prizes thanks to the wonderful giveaway sponsors:
- SEOTesting is giving 1 Team Lifetime SEOTesting Subscription to Track 5 sites.
- Sitebulb is giving a 1 Small Cloud Server subscription for 6 months.
- Screaming Frog is giving a 1 year SEO Spider license.
- AlsoAsked is giving a 3 months of a Pro account.
- Advanced Web Ranking is giving an AWR PRO license for 6 months.
- Adam Gent from the SEO Case Study Database is giving 1 Free Access to it.
- SE Ranking is giving a 6 months of Pro 1000 account, 100 extra articles for the Content Marketing tool and a demo by the success team. The winner will also have access to the SE Ranking Academy during this period.
- Quattr is giving a 6 months Free Access of the Individual Plan.
- Keyword Insights is giving a 20% off a monthly subscription for the first 5 months or Get 20% off an annual subscription. (First-time customers only, monthly or annual subscription only, to be used by a single customer).
- Semrush is giving a free 6 months Pro access.
- Ahrefs is giving a free 6 Months Access to a Lite Account.
- Kyle Rushton from KRMDigital UK’s School is giving a 1 person lifetime access to the GA4 course.
- Keywords in Sheets is giving 52,500 credits to use Keywords in Sheets.
- Wordlift is giving a lifetime subscription for the SEO Addon for Google Spreadsheet (which includes also the new features, the Content Expander) and Business Plan for 6 months (which includes also the SEO Addon).
- Speetals is giving a Basic plan for 1 year.
How can you participate?
You can participate to win all of these prizes by:
- Being an SEOFOMO subscriber. You're likely one if you're reading this but if you're not yet a subscriber you can do it here.
- Referring at least 2 people to subscribe to SEOFOMO from September 28, 2023 (date in which the newsletter has 28.4K subscribers) until the newsletter reaches 30,000 subscribers by using the SEOFOMO referral system that you can find at the bottom of the newsletter, where a unique link to share SEOFOMO is provided for each of you, and that will be used to keep track of the subscribers you send.
When SEOFOMO reaches the 30K subscribers I will randomly choose the one big winner among those who are subscribed and have referred at least 2 subscribers between September 28, 2023 and the date the newsletter reaches the 30K subscribers.
Please, don’t try to cheat by sending fake referrals. I will identify and won’t take into consideration not real “human” subscribers. I reserve the right to block those who I find cheating.
Do you have any questions or doubts? Just let me know through this form.
Subscribe and refer SEOFOMO to win the SEOFOMO 30K Giveway!
🔭 More Digital Marketing News & Jobs? Read and Subscribe to MarketingFOMO
If you're looking to stay updated on other digital marketing areas beyond SEO, take a look at MarketingFOMO, the sister weekly newsletter of SEOFOMO, with +1.7K subscribers, featuring the latest in content marketing, digital PR, social media, paid search and more!
|Subscribe to MarketingFOMO For Free|
💪 This week's SEOFOMO Featured Supporters
A huge THANK YOU to loyal SEOFOMOers referring +5 subscribers:
- Mladen Mladenovic, and my position is SEO Lead at Nerder
- Patrik Rojan - CoFounder Mixtazure SEO Agency and Senior SEO at Mondly
... You rock 👏
If you want to be featured here, take a look below at the SEOFOMO rewards program.
💙 Refer SEOFOMO to your Friends & Win Rewards
If you enjoy reading SEOFOMO, refer it to your SEO and digital marketing friends and win awesome (now updated) rewards with the SEOFOMO rewards program:
- Refer 2 Subscribers: Get a shout-out on Twitter from Aleyda, thanking your support
- Refer 5 Subscribers: Get featured in the "Supporters" thank you section in an edition of #SEOFOMO
- Refer 15 Subscribers: Get access to 3 Actionable (exclusive) SEO How-Tos / Tips Videos
- Refer 35 Subscribers: Get a free copy of The SEO Playbook by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 70 Subscribers: Get free access to the Google Search Console Mastery Course by Tomek Rudzki
- Refer 100 Subscribers: Get a 1 hour SEO 1-1 Hangout with Aleyda, 1 SEOFOMO Mug and an SEOFOMO Hoodie
- Refer 500 Subscribers: Get a 2 hours SEO Q&A with Aleyda and an SEOFOMO Backpack
Here's your unique link to share #SEOFOMO: [RH_REFLINK GOES HERE]
Or share via: Twitter | Whatsapp | LinkedIn | Facebook | Email
You currently have [RH_TOTREF GOES HERE] referrals! Check more about your referrals and rewards here.
Note: Only real human referrals will be counted toward the rewards, and there will be a validation if suspicious activity is detected.
👀 Do you have Feedback?
As usual, if you want to give me any heads up of worthy SEO resources to include next week, you want to be featured, sponsored or any feedback on anything to improve in SEOFOMO, just reply to this email and let me know.
Until next week, keep safe, and remember, don't have FOMO, with SEOFOMO you'll always have SEO awesomeness in your inbox.